Skip to main content

El Salvador - August 2011

In just a few days a band of 8 will be traveling to Acajutla, El Salvador (August 28 - September 3, 2011) to partner with Living Water International (http://www.water.cc) to assist a local drilling/hygiene team in there efforts to provide a village with fresh, clean water. It must be pointed out that often times water is available in one form or another. It could be a hand-dug well close to a home. It could be a nearby stream where jug after jug can be hauled back to the home - often times by the women or children of the village. But think about it. If there is a hand-dug well and it is located next to the home you can easily believe that contaminated with all kinds of waste matter that has seeped into the water source that makes it germ infested. If there is a nearby stream more than likely it has also become a the spot for the entire village to bathe, to wash clothing, to take care of bodily needs. It also becomes a favorite gathering spot for animals. Now, use your imagination! Is that the kind of water you want for your family, for your cooking needs?
Living Water International sees its primary mission as that of drilling deep water wells (80 t0 200 feet) for the benefit, free of cost to villages, schools around the world. Given the amount of deaths and sicknesses attributed solely to water born disease this ministry (and I use the word ministry because it is directed by a Christian mandate) is of great benefit for the sake of health and quality of life.
Now, regarding the Team of 8, let me say that it consists of these individuals: Fred Dallas, Wesley Diehl, Phil Stern, Michael Putnam, Garret Elrod, Nancy Serrett, Rachel Lynn Turner, and Valerie Perez. Each travel for a singular purpose - that of being obedient to the Great Commission found in Matthew 28 telling us to GO. We do so in Jesus name to love, to share, to provide, to care. We do so that we might once again see that God loved the whole world - not just one part of it or one nation among the many.
My request: Keep us in your prayers for the safety of the Gang of Eight and the local or national team with whom we will be working. Drilling is not an exact science so I'm also asking that you pray that the process, the discovery and the setting of the pump will go very according to His plans and will be the answer to many prayers from the village itself.
One more thing - Keep looking here - I'll keep you posted with requests and pictures of our experience in El Salvador.

Comments

Phil Stern said…
Fred,

Good afternoon!

Right now, I’m just trying to test and see how these communications would work. This is before I give out your blog address to others.

Does your latest email suggest that it would be okay for folks to communicate prayers to our group using your blog site? If they have questions about how we are doing, will you have a chance to look for them? (I don’t want to make a big job for you while we are in El Salvador.)

When other folks that I have known well went on mission trips, usually one person (staying behind) was designated as the communications coordinator – for purposes of receiving inquiries and prayer requests and for determining which information should be forwarded directly to the group. That same person would then receive trip updates from the group and convert them into general updates that could be published to all of the individuals who were following the trip. When I raised my question, earlier, I was asking if that type of arrangement existed for our group. Since we are only going to be gone for a week, with 2 days dedicated mostly to travel, that type of communication arrangement may seem unnecessary.

Lastly, I do have one question. I believe that you suggested that rubber boots – without steel toes – would be perfectly acceptable for the kind of work that we will be doing. Was I mistaken??? Or, were you suggesting that steel-toed rubber boots were the preferred mode of footwear? At your suggestion, I bought a pair of mostly-rubber boots, customarily used by hunters in muddy conditions. The ones I purchased were inexpensive, with laces for proper fitting, and come up about 11 inches (which means that I can tuck my pants cuffs into the boots if that is appropriate).

I also have a much more durable pair of hiking boots. But, from your remarks, it sounded as though you were suggesting that we bring more simple mud gear that we would be prepared to leave behind if it got too dirty to pack for the return trip.

Can you confirm that the rubber boots that I described above will be suitable?

FRED: You will be getting this communication both on your blog and through email. I only need one response. The purpose for addressing this to your blog was to see if you are regularly able to receive and respond at your blog site. (If it’s easier to respond by phone, my number is (713) 850-8777.)

Ever since our meeting I have been excited! Thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of this trip.

Phil Stern
a brother in Christ
FWDallas said…
Phil, until we have a better system this is as good as anything - although the address I gave you (kevabridges@gmail.com) will be forwarding our prayer requests to a good sized group letting them know of our prayer requests. I believe that it can be done one of two ways - use this blog or use a Facebook account (http://www.facebook.com/FWDallas (LWI-El Salvador811).

Ken and Valerie Bridges will be the mediator for prayer requests - coming and going.

I use simple rubber boots that can be bought at Academy for $20 or so. I've not thought too much about steel toes although it wouldn't hurt. When I travel with the other all I ever see are regular rubber boots. I wouldn't spend too much money on the boots and for the sake of space on the way home and utility to others that stay behind or come on later trips I leave the boots there in El Salvador. What I will do is bring both rubber boots and a sturdier work boot. There is never any guarantee as to how the work will progress but usually the muddy work, I mean extremely muddy work is on Monday and Tuesday. It gets a little cleaner as the week progresses. Now, remember that it is the rainy season and as I look at the weather that's what I see - rain! So I'm thinking mud pretty much all week long.
Just like you I too am excited about our trip. I love the dynamic and the way I see the team interacting with one another. I tend to bring more than I need on all trips - regardless of where or what the purpose is! Do know that you'll have a chance to relax so bring a book, a journal, an iPod if you like that kind of thing. We will enjoy ourselves.
James Reeves RN said…
Hey Mr. Dallas,

I just found your blog. My wife and I love hearing you deliver the message on Wednesday nights. We are both Registered Nurses and interested in going on Medical/Christian based missions. Please let us know if there is a need.
Thank You for your dedication.

James Reeves

Popular posts from this blog

Thought's on Robin Williams' Unexpected Death

It's no surprise that the untimely, premature, and unexpected death of Robin Williams has captured both our hearts and minds.  After all over the years we've invited him into our homes and paid to be entertained by him.  To say that he was a comic genius is still not the accolade that we feel best describes his talent.  His creativity, his quickness, his expressions have fascinated us to the point eliciting our admiration and dumbfounded response . . . "How could anybody do that?" The tweeted reactions declare our loss and echo a hope, possibly unfounded, that he is now entertaining angels in heaven.  Robin's search for personal happiness and fulfillment led him such that he ended his life this side of heaven by asphyxiation, hanging by his belt. Heaven is a part of our Christian belief system - it has made its way into the fabric of our collective DNA and consciousness.  Unfortunately what so many apparently believe is heaven is 'our gift' to someone we
Did God really create me in His Image and What does that mean? To be honest I've pondered that thought many times. It's not as if I'm trying to recreate Him into something of my image or imagination. I doubt seriously that He has a beard to stroke as He contemplates another of His steps towards being a Cosmic Killjoy. For that matter I believe His Word implicitly. He is Spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth (John 4:24). His promise is not to rob us of joy but to fill our life with a sense of abundance - not in terms of monetary wealth but of significance and purpose (John 10:10). Then what does it mean? I can't be exhaustive but let me work on two verses: 1) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1). There you go! To start with God placed within us the ability to be creative. It would be easy and over simplistic if I were to say we're all Michelangelos in the making. We may not be destined to t